Friday, January 25, 2008

I think I'm getting old

On my last post, my friend Tammy left a comment that said, "please tell me you get tired and worn". So, here is my tired, worn story...

I have been having some stomach problems and am finally tired enough of dealing with it that I decided to go to the doctor. (Believe me, you don't want to know the details) So, I go to the doctor and he tells me that many Caucasian people over the age of 30 can develop a Lactose intolerance and that my symptoms sound very much like that is what my problem is. So, I'm getting old and I can't eat dairy. So, what do I have to do you ask? Yep, you guessed it, a 100% Dairy Free Diet for 2 weeks. See my friends, you no longer only see just the good stuff here. Welcome to my world, my Dairy free world, where my friends call and give me a hard time that it is pizza night in our house and I can't have cheese! Where there is yummy chocolate in my 'food court' and I can't eat any of it. Where I find that even popcorn of all things has milk in it. Where I used to eat cereal and have an occasional ice cream sundae and now, I'm reading the label of every item in my house to make sure it doesn't have the "m" word in it. I'm on day three in case you are interested. I guess I'll keep you posted on my Dairy free journey...

3 comments:

Heather said...

Right there with you girlfriend. Silk soymilk isn't too bad. I get the very vanilla one for kids. It doesn't taste very good on cereal however. They make a Lactose Free milk Lactaid or something like that and some cheese too. I hope your tummy feels better soon. It's not fun not to be able to have chocolate or ice cream isn't it? Yeah, I'm bad and have to splurge every now and then (and then pay for it). Love ya!

Mia said...

Welcome to my world! I can't remember how long I have been lactose intolerant. Don't ever have a frosty from Wendy's without taking at least 3 lactaid pills! Also, FYI, it is genetic. I have to always have pills in my purse just in case. It is so hard to avoid even just cheese! Hang in there. At least they have come a long way with soy products:)

Audra said...

Okay, so I found out that I love chocolate soy milk. It is so good! Since I can't have any chocolate, it is the next best thing. Also, I started using a little olive oil on my pizza crust and that makes a huge difference in my pizza. The dairy free thing is not too bad. I am having to do another week beacause we got a virus and I was sick for 6 days, so that messed everything up. I did find this great website godairyfree.org and it has been a huge help for me. They have a food journal that you can print out that comes with a symptoms checklist. I have tracked everything I have eaten for 2.5 weeks now.