Thursday, May 10, 2007

Whose Child is this?



You're not going to believe this...Rachel had another performance this week. Tuesday night, Rachel had a performance at the school. Her class was selected to participate in a "Muse Machine" presentation. (a local children's theater company) John had something that evening, so it would be just me to take all the kids and tackle trying to get Rachel through the sea of people in the auditorium to the gym, while Kate, Sarah and Hayden tagged along... I asked Rachel if she really wanted to go and if she thought she might actually do the motions and sing. She assured me that she would. I told her that if she threw a fit, we would have to come home and she would be in trouble. She told me that she would really do it this time. I asked why she didn't sing last time and she said it was because she didn't want to sing those songs. Okay, we'll see, I thought. Off we went to the school. I didn't have time to write a note this time. I was flying solo. I reminded Rachel on the way that she needed to not cry and try to smile this time. We got to the school and Rachel skipped into the auditorium, made her way through the sea of people and hopped all the way into the gym. When her teacher saw her, she was puzzled. Yes, she had been there for the previous performance and did not expect to see Rachel hopping. We left Rachel backstage and went to join the audience and find a seat. We waited and even talked about whether or not Rachel would sing a word. Hayden was sure she would. Kate and Sarah weren't so sure. Honestly, me neither. I thought for sure we'd see a repeat of the 1st grade musical performance. Just then, this short little mostly bald, grandpa aged man walked out onto the stage. He had a group of about 15-20 preschoolers following him. They were first to perform and did a funny little song they had made up about a flag. Then, it was time for the first graders. Here we go... Whose child is this? The one with the smile on her face, standing on the front row(far left)? That could not be my daughter. She sang, she did motions, she performed and did her very best and even took a bow at the end! We waved, we cheered, we were so excited. Hayden said, "momma, Rachel is doing all the stuff". Kate and Sarah couldn't believe it either. That was it. One song and they were done. Ironically, we did not go to Wendy's this time. But we all told Rachel how proud of her we were and how fun it was to watch her. Just before bed, Hayden asked her why she didn't wave at him. She said, "I was in neutral". "What, I asked from the kitchen?" This was her answer..."you know, when an actor is not acting, but waiting their turn." Neutral, who knew?

1 comment:

Candi said...

That is too funny! The picture with Hayden made me laugh!!