Thursday, May 10, 2007

AWANA

I realized on our way home that this was the first and last year that I was a leader and each of our children were in AWANA. It was definitely picture worthy. For those of you that don't know, AWANA is Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed. It is a bible based program that teaches children to memorize bible verses. These are not little slimmed down versions of the actual verse. They have learned passages in some sections of their books. This was Kate's last year of being in club. She could be a leader next year, but they are starting a new Jr. High mid-week meeting called BOOST. I think she will probably go to that. Kate is wearing a ribbon for her book award. Sarah was also in T&T this year and will have one more year of club. Rachel is in Sparks and Hayden had his first year of Cubbies. Every Wednesday, we would go to the church for a simple supper at 5:30 and then stay for AWANA until 8:30. The kids have had a great year and are ready to take a break for the summer.

I worked with the 3rd and 4th grade T&T group this year. I do have the retro AWANA uniform. I have been doing it for 6 years, so they have changed the books and the uniforms since I started. All the other leaders at our church wear the polo shirts in the color of the group they work with. One little girl asked me one week if I was a doctor. No, but funny that she thought that. I have volunteered in every group and I really love working with them all. I do have to say that the T&T group is probably my favorite. Next year, they are splitting the T&T group into boys and girls. They have asked me to be the T&T girls director. Sarah will be in my group. I'm sure she won't mind.

1 comment:

Candi said...

That's a great picture!! You've got some real beauties there with you!!...and one handsome little boy, too!