Friday, November 21, 2008

The Canyon Chicken Project



Well, never did we think we'd be building a chicken coop just a month or so after moving in. Boy were we wrong. This took way longer and cost way more than we ever dreamed. But, we had a great time involving the entire neighborhood in our chicken project. Some funny things happened during the building of this coop...

I was in the driveway painting the run section and I was inside this frame painting the inside when the gas man drove down the alley right next to me. He stopped, rolled the window down and asked what I was building. I told him that my husband told the neighborhood boys it was where he'd put me to keep me from shopping. He laughed and asked if he should call the welfare department. I told him he should probably call animal control.

The day that Hayden and I decided to move the chicken run to the other side of the yard, we let the chickens out. I drug the run across the yard and then we went to catch the chickens and put them back into their home. Easier said than done. It took us a good 10 minutes to catch those chickens. They may look clumsy, but don't let their looks fool you. They can make a 35 year old woman burn an easy 500 calories in 10 minutes flat. I'm gonna start my own aerobics class in my back yard called "fast chicks".

The chickens are the talk of the neighborhood. My neighbor Angela told me that her husband is now talking about getting chickens. All the kids come over to see our chickens and must be telling their parents that we have chickens in our back yard.

They do have names. Did I tell you that? Rosie and Lightening Bolt. Rachel does have plans to put a leash on the chickens and walk them. She also wants to dress them up. I'd like to see that. Actually, I'd pay money to see that.

Well, these are our chicken adventures and there are sure to be more. We'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

the_enrights said...

That is so cool. I can't wait to see it the coop one of these days when we come for a visit.

Candi said...

You guys did great with that coop and run!