Sunday, March 23, 2008

Hayden "Hawk" Fruge'







Well, I finally caved to Hayden's unending pleas for a skateboard. He has been asking for probably 2-3 years now. Literally! First, it was, "no, you're too young". Then it changed to "they cost too much money". Then, wouldn't you know it, a boy after my own heart spots a hand painted old school skateboard at the Thrift shop with a price tag of $2.50. How could I say no? He walked through the Thrift shop like he owned the place with his skateboard tucked under his arm and a new swagger in his step. I made him put it in the garage when we got home and John told him we would have to get the right gear for him to learn how to ride. Saturday, we took him 'gear' shopping. Ironically, as we left Target to come home, it started snowing. It ended up being too cold to let him go out. Sunday after our Easter celebration came to a close, I took him to the park to see what skateboarding was all about. Mind you, all I know about skateboarding, I learned from my brother when he was going through his 8 year skateboarding "phase". Hayden jumped on that board like he knew what he was doing. He quickly learned a thing or two about balance and gravity. He only fell once and went much slower than I expected him too. He thought it was the greatest day. After being there for just a few minutes, it started to snow. Yes, snow on Easter! I let him play for a few more minutes and then we headed home for dinner. Later in the evening, Hayden climbed up on the couch next to me and said, "Momma, thank you for taking me to skateboard; maybe if it's warm this week, we can do it again." I'm finding more and more that it's the little things in life that make us all happy. It's not the shiny new car, the giant house, the high paying job...it's the little things that matter most. It's taking my kids to the park, cuddling up on the couch with my husband at the end of a long day, enjoying a nice family dinner, playing games and having fun with friends...

1 comment:

Candi said...

That is too cute!! Logan has been asking for a skateboard, too!! He is so clumsy, but I guess he'd figure it out.