Sunday, December 23, 2007

Stuffing

Tomorrow, I'll be baking this stuffing along with a turkey and most of the trimmings. I have been asked about this recipe once or twice before, so I thought I would share it here.

Audra’s Cornbread stuffing
For Thanksgiving, I made this and used wheat rolls instead of bread heels. I love the texture of this stuffing and the flavor is phenomenal. I'm not a big fan of lunch lady stuffing; you know, the kind that turns to mush and you can scoop it with a large cookie scoop and it holds it's newly molded shape. Me, I like my stuffing light and flavorful.

2 pkgs. Cornbread or 2 8x8 pans- cubed (bake according to package)
3-4 toasted bread heels-cubed (or leftover rolls)
1 pumpernickel bagel-cubed
1 cup margarine
1 cup onion-chopped
1 cup celery-chopped
2 teaspoons rubbed sage
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
4 cans chicken broth

Mix all breads and seasonings the day before baking and let dry out overnight uncovered in a large bowl. In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt margarine and cook onion and celery until clear. Pour over bread mixture. Transfer stuffing mix to large (9x13>). Add 1 can of broth and stir. Bake at 350* for 1 hour covered. Add 1 can of broth every 20 minutes.

Note: Turkey 15 min./lb. @ 400*

No comments: