Saturday, August 11, 2007

Freezer Cooking Day






What a day! After a week of VBS, you probably think I'd have to be crazy to do a freezer cooking day. Well, I am exhausted, but the rewards from a day of cooking are so great. I can say for sure that I will not do it all in the same week again. I did get everything ready ahead of time and just had shopping to do this week. We had 11 ladies in our church kitchen cooking 9 recipes 11 times. It was great! At the end of the day, you go home with 9 recipes that are made to serve 6-8 people. What did we make? Penne Ala Vodka sauce, Nanny's Sunday Pot Roast, Machaca Beef, Chicken Soup, Creamy Chicken Italiano, Taco Pockets, Twice Baked Potatoes, Tammy's Yummy Cookies (we freeze the dough) and Breakfast Burritos. I have been freezer cooking for a long time, but never on this large a scale. I used to just do it for myself at home. Trying to save some time here and there and double up on my cooking and freeze what I could. Then, in Albuquerque, I got together with 3 other ladies and we would come up with a menu that was agreeable to everyone, have 2 recipes each to cook in our own homes and then we would make 8 of each recipe and then meet a week or so later to divide everything up to take home. That actually works great too. I have to say, this does make me think about opening my own freezer meal business. I love planning, creating the spreadsheets for my shopping, calculating and converting all the measurements of all the ingredients... After doing this three times now, I think we have worked out the kinks. I wanted to blog my experience for you to see what I have been doing. Well, now I have to go make dinner for my family, but at least I have something in my freezer!

2 comments:

Candi said...

I wish I lived close enough to participate. You know this is right up my alley!!

Tammy said...

Once again - you are AWESOME!!!