Monday, June 28, 2010

Family Fun Reward jars June/July 2010 issue


Family Fun magazine recently published an article on a 'reward' jar system.The idea is to have 'extra' jobs available for your kids to do that involve a point system. Once a certain amount of points are reached, you can trade it in for some pretty cool rewards. With four kids ages 7-14, I thought my kids may be a little too old. But, since I'll be starting a job in August, I decided to give it a try and see how it works. The article was great and gave me a great jumping off point, but I would have liked more detail, so I'm including it here in case you decide to give it a try...


First, I bought 2 different sizes of 'tubs'. 3 1/2 cup and 4 cup. I also let each kid choose their own color of pebbles from the craft section at Walmart. (They thought this was really cool.) Why different colors? To prevent trading or switching colors. Also known as cheating!

Then, I had to decide how many pebbles each kid got in their tub. I counted out how many pebbles would fill the 3.5 cup tub. It was roughly 200. So, then I had to count out 200 pebbles per kid. If they earn 7 points a day, this is do-able.

Next, I had to come up with 'chores' to be done. This was easy. What do I need help with on a daily basis, weekly basis, monthly basis, and as needed basis?

The article didn't have a number of pebbles, jobs available, or points for each job. So, here's what I came up with... I divided it into Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and as needed jobs. When they finish a job, they'll come to me and let me know when they have completed their job and I will reward the points/pebbles.

Daily:
Dishes: load-3
unload-3
Dust: each room-2
Vacuum: each room-3
Microwave: 2
Sweep: wood and tile-5
Put away food after meal:3
Laundry: sort- 3
load washer or dryer & start-2
fold-5
Mirrors: all-5
Sinks: each -3
Trash (with new bags): kitchen-5
all other rooms-5
Feed/water dogs: 2
Clear table and rinse dishes: 3
Kitchen counters: 2

Weekly:
Dog poop: 10
Sweep: front porch-5
back porch-5
garage-5
Brush dogs: 10 each dog

Monthly:
Windows: all inside-50
Clean fridge: 50
Clean Showers/tubs: 50

As needed:
Unload & put away groceries: 10
Cook Dinner: 30


Okay, so that takes care of my list. Next is the reward:

Trade in a full tub for:
$10
gift from basket (I buy things on clearance and put them in the basket to "trade" for.)
Night out with Mom or Dad
Sleepover with special movie and treats: Hastings movie and snacks from United

So, how's it going, well, my dishes were done twice yesterday, yard work (for a personal negotiation) and counter tops are clean, meal was put away, and that is just the start...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this...Can't wait to try this at our house...thanks for sharing.

Audra said...

I forgot to mention that you can take away pebbles for bad behavior. I think we had a total earnings of about 25 points today.

Kris said...

i just started this too & it is working really welll so far.... :)

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.