Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Substitute Initiation?


So, most of you know that I have been substituting. Well, Monday, I subbed in 4th grade and Tuesday, I was called for a Kindergarten class. Tuesday, it was really windy, so the kids could not go out for recess. I got a call from another Kindergarten teacher asking if we wanted to get all the kids together to watch a movie. Then, she asked if I would mind watching them all myself. What? The entire Kindergarten would not fit in my room. No, she meant just two other classes. "I think that should be fine", I said. Was I crazy? I snapped this picture to give you an idea of what 60 something Kindergartners look like watching "Tarzan". They were great. I really didn't have any problems. One girl in the front row had never seen the movie and I had fun watching her reaction.

I have been enjoying the flexibility of substituting and the extra money. It is funny to see how different these kids are than my own children. I had a girl on Tuesday go to the locker to get her jacket and as she walked back in to the class, she yelled, "MOVE" to another girl in her way. I made her go back outside and try it again. This time, nicely. She told me she didn't know how. I suggested that she say excuse me, or even will you please let me in. She stood there with her eyes to the ground in the grumpiest voice ever and said, "excuse me Abby, will you please move?". I told her that I didn't like to be yelled at and I didn't think that Abby did either. It makes me wonder what type of parents some of these kids have.

I have taught K-4th and have not ventured to the Jr. High. It keeps me on my toes. I don't know how some moms work full time. I come home and feel like I can't get everything done, so I play catch up on my free days. At least I have free days.

3 comments:

Candi said...

Looks like you kept them under control! I'm still laughing at the little girl looking at you out of the corner of her eye!

the_enrights said...

Welcome to the world of Subbing. I love all the things they use to do to me. I suggest not doing Jr. High unless you are ready for more attitude than you already have in elementary school. I also don't know how working mom's do all the extras.

Unknown said...

Us working mom's don't get all the extras done. That's we don't have blogs and we don't get to paint pet rocks!! lol Love Ya Robin